Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vintage Chest Redo

I bought this vintage chest for $5 back before we ever even moved. Its been shuffled around from place to place and even got its leg broken off in the process. I decided today was the day to get started.

Isn't she lovely... ha! Its made out of some sort of rattan and then probably in the 70's some one upholstered the top with nail head trim. 




It was the furniture stamp on the bottom that tugged on me....

Its made by the Roos Furniture Company of Chicago. This piece is from their Rooster line...cute huh :)

I can't seem to find out much about the company except that it was owned by Ed Roos and they made chest from 1915- 1951 and where most well known for their cedar chests. 



I wasnt really sure what I wanted to do with it, but I thought I would start with taking off that horrible quilting....



I found out why they covered it. The top is very damaged with some of the rattan completely gone. I decided that the yards and yards of burlap in my closet would come in handy here and that I would white wash over the bottom......




Much better huh??? I opted to leave the legs natural wood. You can't see them against this hardwood since they are the same color.

I love the look, but I am contemplating doing a french stencil in black on the top....something that would resemble this piece from SavvyCityFarmer




I'm SO indecisive! What do YOU think??? 

No comments: